Core Curricular Primary Resources
- Everyday Mathematics
- STC Science
5th Grade Units of Study
Floating & Sinking
6th Grade Units of Study
Energy, Machines, & Motion
- The Comprehension Toolkit by Stephanie Harvey & Anne Goudvis
Reading Strategies focus on these skills:
Activate & Connect
Summarize & Synthesize
Genre Study - In-depth study of characteristics of each type of genre
5th Grade Genres - Science Fiction and Historical Fiction
6th Grade Genres - Diaries & Letters and Realistic Fiction
Independent Reading Requirement per JPS Curricula Continua
- 20 minutes per day/100 minutes per week
- Write Source Language Arts
Writing Instruction focuses on these forms:
Writing Response to Literature
- TCI Social Studies
5th Grade – United States: Making a Nation
6th Grade – Geography Alive! Regions and People
- Beyond the Classroom Experiences
JA Biztown – Manage a city for a day
Jenks Wild – Environmental camp
- Curricular Websites:
Study Island - CRT Test Preparation
EMGames - Math practice
aaamath - Math practice
- Homework Policy
Our objective at JEI is that any homework be a quality assignment that is an extension of something begun during the school hours.
The Jenks District Homework Policy for fifth and sixth grade students is as follows:
Homework shall be a maximum of 30-45 minutes combined time per night between the student’s core content team teachers. This may vary if a student is enrolled in advanced classes such as Algebra, which is considered a middle school class.
- Students will have a designated procedure for recording homework assignments in their agendas.
- Completion of homework is the student’s responsibility; however, students may seek help from family members.
- Following a school absence, it is the student’s responsibility to complete work upon return. The student will have at least the same number of days to complete work as number of days absent.