Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy
Are you taking a World Language course? Do you know another language besides English?
Are you a Jenks High School Student currently enrolled in 10th -12th grade?
Earn the Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy!
Application windows will be available each year in the fall semester. During the 2022-2023 school year, high school students may complete the application for the Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy using the hyperlink below on or before Tuesday, October 18, 2022. Due to the Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy requirements, students are encouraged to apply for the seal their junior or senior year. If students need additional testing to complete the Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy application, seniors will receive priority scheduling.
The Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy is an award given by the Oklahoma State Department of Education in recognition of students who have studied and attained proficiency in English as well as an additional language upon high school graduation. It represents the state’s commitment to value the whole student and foster pride in the cultural and linguistic heritage of our students.
The Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy encourages students to study languages, certifies attainment of biliteracy skills, recognizes the value of language diversity, and prepares students with 21st-century skills that will benefit them in the labor market and the global society.
Visit the Oklahoma State Department of Education Seal of Biliteracy page for more information.
Many employers pay more to bilingual employees. Language skills are in very high demand and may lead to hiring advantages and increased salaries!
- Nine out of ten employers rely on employees with language skills other than English.
- 56% say their foreign language demand will increase in the next five years.
- 47% state a need for language skills exclusively for the domestic market.
- 1 in 3 language-dependent U.S. employers report a language skills gap.
- 1 in 4 U.S. employers lost business due to a lack of language skills.
- World Languages Oral Proficiency in the Workplace
- Demand for Bilingual Workers More Than Doubled in 5 Years (New American Economy)
College & University Benefits
Many colleges and universities recognize the benefits of bilingualism which include improved memory, problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, enhanced concentration, ability to multitask, better listening skills, greater creativity and flexibility, and the ability to switch between competing tasks and monitor changes in your environment more easily.
Being able to prove your bilingual and biliterate skills may give you an advantage in getting into the college or university of your choice or being considered for scholarships!
Demonstrate language proficiency on an approved assessment: Arabic, Albanian, Amharic, Bangla, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Chinese (Mandarin), Creole, Croatian, Dari, French, German, Gujarati, Haitian, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malayam, Pashto, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Yoruba, and Zomi. Other languages may be available upon request.
**Native American Languages - Assessments will be developed and approved through Tribal language departments in cooperation with the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy Levels
- Gold Level: "Intermediate-Mid" level scores in each area: listening, speaking, reading, and writing in other language assessment (based on ACTFL guidance) AND demonstrate English proficiency.
- Platinum Level:“Advanced-Low” Level scores in each area: listening, speaking, reading, and writing in other language assessment (based on ACTFL guidance) AND demonstrate English proficiency.
American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages Levels
How do I qualify for the Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy?
- Complete the Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy application on this page, first.
- Demonstrate English proficiency on ONE of these assessments: ACT, AP English Language or English Literature, ACCESS, SAT & PSAT. See Oklahoma State Department of Education proficiency guidelines HERE.
- Demonstrate Language Proficiency in another language on an assessment offered by JPS. The assessment measures four areas of proficiency- listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- You’ll be contacted in the spring to schedule your language proficiency test at school, once you apply AND meet the English proficiency requirement.
Your interest and progress towards the Oklahoma Seal of Biliteracy should be included in your ICAP. See JPS Individual Career Academic Plan on Classlink.
How can I prepare for the target language listening, speaking, reading & writing sections of the test? *
*Please note consistent use of target language increases your ability to obtain a score to meet the Seal of Biliteracy criteria.
LISTENING AND SPEAKING SECTIONS
- Use the strategies on this rubric to keep improving your skills, score level I-3 through A-1, in the target languages.
- Refer to the next higher level as your target goal to set goals for your practice.
Use the strategies on this rubric to keep improving your skills, score level I-3 through A-1 in the target languages.
Presentational Writing Rubric (ACTFL)
Refer to the next higher level as your target goal to set goals for your practice
Practice daily to improve your writing skills in the target language.
Use the strategies on this rubric to keep improving your reading comprehension skills.
Interpretive Reading Rubric (ACTFL)
Refer to the next higher level as your target goal to set goals for your practice.
Look for articles and other texts in the target language. Discuss what you understood from your reading with others.
Paying an Assessment Fee for the Seal of Biliteracy?
- Sign in to PowerSchool.
- Once signed in, click the icon in the left panel labeled Purchases and Payments.
- Click on the student you are shopping for
- Items at all schools
- High School
- High School/Alternative Ctr
- Seal of Biliteracy
- Click Buy on the item
- Click Green Checkout
- Click Blue Checkout
- Put in payment information
- Pay now