Mandated Assessment Information
The “Every Student Succeeds Act” (ESSA) requires states to administer “high-quality annual assessments.” The federally required tests include a reading or language arts assessment annually in grades 3-8 and once in grades 9-12; and a mathematics assessment annually in grades 3-8 and once in grades 9-12. The federal required tests also include a science assessment to be administered once in the grade spans of 3-5, once in 6-9 and once in 10-12. In addition, the State of Oklahoma also requires grade 11 students to complete a US History exam.
In an effort to remain compliant with the assessment requirements found in ESSA, but also to ensure Oklahoma’s students are receiving quality-time for instruction, the following state mandated tests will be administered in the spring:
- Reading/English Language Arts annually in grades 3-8
- Writing portions will be embedded in the spring Language Arts tests
- Mathematics annually in grades 3-8
- Science once in grades 5, 8, and 11
- US History in grade 11
- A College and Career Readiness Assessment (such as the ACT or SAT) once in grade 11
- The name of the test will be announced after the bidding process is completed.