Family Resources: Home Activities for Spelling Practice
At Home spelling practice suggestions support more practice with spelling assignment.
Look for Patterns
- Words Sorts: Ask your child to show you how he/she sorts words based on the pattern(s) studied during the week
- Prove It: Talk about the word patterns and help your child find other words that follow the pattern(s).
- Color Coding: Use highlighters to color code the patterns in the words, with each pattern highlighted in a different color.
Practice the Words
- Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check: Study the words by looking at the words, saying them aloud, covering them, writing them, and checking the spelling.
Practice the Words with Tactile Experiences
- Provide a tray of salt, sand, sugar or flour, and trace spelling words in the tray.
- Provide a large space for writing i.e., a chalkboard or the sidewalk. Use chalk or a wet sponge or wet paint brush and shape the words.
Share Writing Experiences
- Encourage writing projects at home i.e., letters to family, thank you notes, lists, homemade greeting cards.