How Can You Motivate Your Child to Read?
- Your example is important. Let your child see you reading newspapers, magazines, and books.
- When you read, share your thoughts and reactions to the story or article. Encourage your child to do the same for his/her reading.
- Set aside a special time for reading to/with your child every day. This will teach your child that reading is important and enjoyable.
- Encourage and praise your child’s efforts to read.
- Visit the school or public library often.
- Turn off the TV and talk with your child.
- Make sure books are available and conveniently located.