Students are encouraged to read items that meet their needs, interests, maturity levels, and reading abilities. Here are a few links to encourage reading . Reviews can help even the most reluctant reader find a great book:
Guys read is a website set up to encourage and help boys find books they will love. Created by Jon Scieska it is the place to go to get guys reading:
similar to Goodreads only for kids - this site offers great reviews with a few fun resources. Don't forget to look at the resource link when you visit.
Newbery Medal Winner and Honor Books:
*Awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to "the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."
Sequoyah Book Awards:
*A children's choice state book award that is annually awarded by the Oklahoma Library Association.
Current Sequoyah Masterlists:
Many students also enjoy reading books on the intermediate and children's Sequoyah masterlists so they can vote for the winner of the state book award.
2015 Children's Sequoyah Masterlist (grades 3-5):
- Sailing to Freedom - Martha Bennett Stiles
- Little Dog Lost - Marion Dane Bauer
- Adventures of Beanboy - Lisa Harkrader
- King of the Mound - Wes Tooke
- Freaky Fast Frankie Joe - Lutricia Clifton
- Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy - Nikki Loftin
- Seven Tales of Trinket - Shelley Moore Thomas
- Hiss-s-s - Eric A. Kimmell
- Capture the Flag - Kate Messner
- The One and Only Ivan - Katherine Applegate
- Secret Chicken Society - Judy Cox
- Double Dog Dare - Lisa Graff
- Kizzy Ann Stamps - Jeri Watts
- Brothers at Bat - Audrey Vernick
- Alex the Parrot - Stephanie Spinner
2015 Intermediate Sequoyah Masterlist ( grades 6-8):
- Stolen into Slavery by Fradin, Judy and Dennis
- Bomb: The Race to Build and Steal the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon by Sheinkin, Steve
- Drama by Telgemeier, Raina
- Kizzy Ann Stamps by Watts, Jeri Hanel
- Lions of Little Rock by Levine, Kristin
- One for the Murphy’s by Hunt, Lynda Mullaly
- Laugh with the Moon by Burg, Shana
- Cinder by Meyer, Marissa
- Raven Boys by Stiefvater, Maggie
- Insignia by Kincaid, S.J.
- Curveball: The Year I lost My Grip by Sonnenblick, Jordan
- Second Chance Summer by Matson, Morgan
- Shadow and Bone by Bardugo, Leigh
- The False Prince by Nielsen, Jennifer A.
- Dragonswood by Carey, Janet Lee
Caldecott Medal Winner and Honor Books:
*Awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to "the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children published by an American publisher in the United States in English."
Robert F. Siebert Medal Winner and Honor Books:
*Awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to "the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished informational book published in English."
The Coretta Scott King Book Awards Winner and Honor Books:
*Awarded annually by the American Library Association to "African American authors and illustrators for outstanding inspirational and educational contributions."